Tuesday, June 15, 2021

Jen’s Art Adventure: Becoming a Collage Artist Full Time

Jennifer DeSantis is a local artist specializing in collage. Until recently she was the Gallery Manager and jack of all trades for our very own OT Circus! A few months ago, Jenn decided to focus on her art full time. Even though we are sad to see her go, we are excited for her new opportunity. Jenn has hit the ground ground running with several shows in the first two weeks, including a successful solo show at downtown sandwich shop, Tuerta, which is up until the end of the month, so check it out if you get the chance. She also set up a studio at the Ruppe Building in Barelas, open from 4-7pm Wednesdays through Fridays, which includes the Secret Gallery, where you can also see one of her pieces. We asked Jenn some questions about her adventures, new and old.

How did you become an artist? I think I was born an artist, and think we all are.

When did you become an artist? I decided to pursue art as a career/lifestyle in 2010. 

What kind of art did you start with? I always actually loved to draw and paint as a child. When I was little, I wanted to “grow up” to be an author and illustrator. I think I made my first collage when I was 13 or 14. 

What influenced your art? My art is a form of self-therapy for me. It helps me deal with trauma and moods, as I am able to express things I am thinking and feeling in a healthy way. The major influence was my need for a healthy outlet. 

Why collage? I love the creation out of destruction aspect of collage. Taking something that exists and morphing it into something different/more meaningful/more modern. Also, collage is an extremely accessible artform. There are ALWAYS materials just “laying around”: )
When did you start using collage? So, I had an urge to make art, and at the time, there was an old TIME magazine and some cardboard just laying around, where I was living, and that was what really started it. This was in 2010. The urge was strong. I had dabbled before, but not seriously. 

How did you come up with the visual DJ idea?Actually, that was fairly recent. Someone asked me at a pop up about 2 years ago, what collage is… And the thing that popped into my head was “like a DJ remixes sounds, I remix imagery and words visually, so I guess you could call me a “visual DJ.”

What are some of the main collage elements that you work with? I love working with vintage materials. Old books and magazines that have been forgotten/discarded. And CATS!

When did you decide to become a full time artist? Very recently, in February of 2021. 

How do you come up with your titles? Sometimes they come to me as I am creating the piece, but often I look at it when completed and then I think of a title. The titles reflect a narrative either that is personal often, but sometimes, I “put myself in the archetype/character/focal point’s shoes” and then the title will come from that perspective. Sometimes it is the words that I have implemented on the piece itself that become the title. 

How many pieces have you done/sold? Thousands made, hundreds – maybe even thousands have sold – over just about 11 years.

How many do you make a month? That really depends on a lot of factors. I try to complete about 5-10 new originals at least each month. 

When did you start using different shapes? Also, quite recently. This year, 2021.

Where are you from? I was born and raised in Waterbury Connecticut. 

What places have you lived? I moved from Connecticut to Georgia in 1996, and lived there until 2016, when my husband and I moved here, to Albuquerque NM. On the way from Georgia to New Mexico, we lived in Grants Pass Oregon for 6 weeks. 

Did you make/sell art there? I did.

When did you move to Albuquerque? November 2016 – Thanksgiving weekend! 

How do you like Abq? I love it! Moving here has opened my eyes to tons of awesome and also difficult things, and I have grown much, and learned a lot about myself. It’s amazing for art, and supportive of artist’s individual expression! 

How did you start working with OT Circus? I participated in an art show at OT Circus in 2017. About a month later, Victoria asked if I could help her with the gallery. 

How long? I was working at OT Circus for a little over 4 years. 

What do you like to do when you’re not creating art? I like to cook, read, watch TV, and ride my exercise bike. I like to also socialize and spend time with my friends. 

Do you have any upcoming shows? Yes! I am at El Vado on Friday 6/18 from 5-8, and at Ancora Bakery and Café on 6/25 from 5-8. 

How did your opening go on Friday? It went well.

When are your open studio hours? Presently, I don’t have regular hours, but I am happy to meet people here to see the space until I sort that out. 

Where can people buy your art?https://www.metaphysicalartgallery.com/works-by-lady-jennd AND https://society6.com/ladyjennd You can also connect with me personally to procure work via my FB and Instagram: @ladyjennd.

What do your pieces go for? It really depends on the size. Anywhere from $40 - $1000 – lots of options ;) 


We will miss seeing Jenn at the Circus on a regular basis, but we are looking forward to many visits and wish her well as she sets off on this new adventure!

 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple Ways to Honor Earth Day

  Saturday is Earth Day, so we decided to come up with a list of ways to get involved on Earth or any day, because as they say: Earth Day is...