Tuesday, March 14, 2023

Will’s Book Nook: Roald Dahl’s Revolting Rhymes


 

In my last Book Nook, I wrote about the Roald Dahl censorship controversy, so this time I want to talk about one of my favorite Roald Dahl books, Revolting Rhymes. I have it in audiobook form, which also includes Dirty Beasts and is read by star of stage and screen, Alan Cumming. The funny and sometimes naughty rhymes combined with Cumming’s delivery had me laughing quite a lot. His comedic timing made it even funnier than I originally expected. I quote it all the time. I especially like to reference the part in "Goldilocks" when she's on trial for breaking and entering and she's clearly guilty of that. I also love that Dahl made Red Riding Hood a wolf hunter. She even helps out in the "Three Little Pigs" with their wolf problem. Speaking of which, my favorite quote from that rhyme is when the wolf says, with determination, "If I can't blow your house down [...] I'll have to blow it up instead." I give it 5 out of 5 scribbles, because of Cumming's narration. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple Ways to Honor Earth Day

  Saturday is Earth Day, so we decided to come up with a list of ways to get involved on Earth or any day, because as they say: Earth Day is...