Thursday, September 29, 2022

An Interview With Our New Yoga Teacher: Fernanda "Nanda" Savedra


 

Do you have a nickname that you like to be called? 

Most people call me Nanda, and I love it. It's short, easy to say, and, I hope, easy to remember!

What will you be teaching with Arts Connections?

I will be teaching Yoga. Together, we will practice movement, mindfulness, and breath work.

Do you like to dance? What kind?

I love to dance and will find a groove to almost any type of music! You can even find me with an imaginary guitar or drums moving to rock n' roll!

What kind of music do you like? Do you have a favorite musician or band? 

My taste in music is very broad and it varies with my mood, so I can't say I have a favorite. Nat King Cole, Paramore, Stevie Ray Vaughan, and Ben Howard showcase the variety of musicians and bands I listen to. 

Where are you from? Where do you live? Have you lived in other places?

I was born in Ribeirão Preto, Brazil. I have lived in New Mexico for almost 16 years. Los Lunas has been my home for about 8 of those years. I have also lived in Chile for three and a half years when I was 9 years old. A lot of moving!

Do you like to travel? What's your favorite place that you've ever been? 

I love to travel, but haven't traveled much in years. Of all the places that I have been to, I miss Itajubá in Brazil. It is a beautiful town with lots of green trees and plants all around. It rains for several weeks at a time there, but the weather will remain warm and pleasant. It's a beautiful place. 

What do you like about yoga? Do you follow a certain yoga philosophy? How long have you been practicing yoga?

I love how yoga brings you inward and helps you to not only get to know yourself, but to become friends with yourself. This helps you to achieve an internal balance and peace that is otherwise lost in such a busy and often chaotic world. I have been practicing yoga for about nine years. When I first came to yoga, I was in a deep state of need. I can't emphasize how much it has helped me. I really wish that I had known yoga all of my life! Aside from the asana practice, I hold the eight limbs of yoga close to my heart and my life. Self-discipline (Tapas) and self-study (Svadhyaya) are essential to me. All the limbs are interwoven within each other and some of them are already embedded in our beings innately! 

What do you like about teaching?

Teaching allows me to share precious treasures with others. Guiding others towards a healthier and happier life brings me great joy. I have had to learn so much in my personal life, and I am still learning. But the freedom that I have found so far not only motivates me to keep going, but also inspires me to assist others into finding the same peace and freedom in their lives. Teaching is also a perfect way to self-study and a perfect way to keep learning. 

Do you have a favorite actor or actress? TV show? Movie?

I really admire Liam Neeson. He's a great actor and I have loved every movie that I watched with him in it. I also LOVE the show Frasier. I have seriously watched the entire show over 20 times. 

Do you like to cook? What are some of your favorite foods?

I love to cook and cook every single day! Rice, lentil salad, roti bread, pasta, fried tempeh, and salads are on the top of my list of favorite foods. 

What's your favorite color? 

For the past couple of months I have been drawn to the color yellow. Light yellow and mustard yellow specifically. I love the color so much that I even bought a yellow sleeve for my favorite reusable water bottle!

What do you do for fun? What are your hobbies?

I love knitting and reading. In the rare moments that I have free and quiet time, you will find me knitting or reading something. I also love to go camping!

Can you tell us about your family? Do you have any pets? What are their names?

My husband Aaron and I have been married for almost 13 years. Together we have a 12 year old daughter, Emma-Jayde. We also have an 8 year old maltese dog named Richie. We love him so much, we call him our son! We call ourselves the Three Musketeers plus One.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple Ways to Honor Earth Day

  Saturday is Earth Day, so we decided to come up with a list of ways to get involved on Earth or any day, because as they say: Earth Day is...