Tuesday, April 4, 2023

Arts Connections Advice

Q: With the time change that just happened, I’m feeling extra tired lately. I always struggle in the early afternoon just after lunch. How can I snap out of it?

A: Because your body is working hard on digestion, people often feel sleepy after lunch. Try eating something light and healthy. Pick from the 4 Ss (we just made that up): salads, soups, sandwiches and smoothies and see if it makes a difference. Another way to shake off the sleepies, is to go for a walk or some other type of light to moderate exercise. Getting out in nature and sunshine when you can is also beneficial. If all else fails there’s the classic method of splashing water on your face. 

Q. I have a disability and I use a wheelchair. When I'm out in public, I'm always surprised at how inconsiderate some people can be. People often cut in front of me in line or don't hold the door for me. How can I deal with this?

A. If you are with someone, make sure they advocate for you by speaking up. Awareness is a huge part of the battle. You can also practice speaking up for yourself. You can't always change people's behavior, but you can make them aware so that maybe in the future they will be more considerate. Even just making sure they don't ignore people with disabilities and pretend like they're invisible is a huge step forward (no pun intended). The key not to show your frustration and not to be passive aggressive, but to be as nice as possible. It's not fair that it's on you to be the bigger person and to educate, and there may be days when you just don't have it in you--and that's okay, but by killing them with kindness, they are more likely to change their behavior and everyone will benefit from it.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple Ways to Honor Earth Day

  Saturday is Earth Day, so we decided to come up with a list of ways to get involved on Earth or any day, because as they say: Earth Day is...