Tuesday, April 4, 2023

Will’s Book Nook: Short Story Ideas


 

I like to write short stories, and in the past I’ve based them on Ironsides, a series featuring a detective in a wheelchair. But recently I’ve had some writer’s block. I’ve got some ideas, but I thought I’d do some brainstorming with my classmates for Writing Together. 

I particularly enjoy writing smart alecky detective stories, and I came up with a name befitting a New Mexican detective: Toto Caliente. I’m also a big advocate for representing disabilities of all kinds. But when it comes to the plot and other characters, I’m seeking inspiration. I’ve based characters on friends of mine in the past, and that’s always been fun. And I’ve worked a lot of my own experiences into my writing. Some options I’ve considered including in my next short story are: the potential spaceport that may be built in Albuquerque, and I’d like to use that in some way. A friend of mine is the inspiration for Detective Caliente’s partner, Pico. I also came up with a character called Singing Sparrow, based on the New Mexican Pueblo culture. One of my favorite books of all time is The Curious Case of the Dog in the Nighttime, featuring a boy with autism who tries to solve the mystery of his neighbor's dog's death. A number of recent TV shows, like Sherlock, have also featured detectives and other main characters with autism. I like this idea, because autistic people see things in a different way than neurotypical people. I've also been listening to an audiobook collection about a blind detective. People underestimate him, and he uses his other senses in a way that others might not. One idea I've had is to include a community access worker as a character. Talking this through has helped come up with a lot of ideas. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple Ways to Honor Earth Day

  Saturday is Earth Day, so we decided to come up with a list of ways to get involved on Earth or any day, because as they say: Earth Day is...